Review of A Murder on Malabar Hills

Title: A Murder on Malabar Hills

Author: Sujata Massey





Blurb:

 Bombay, 1921. Intrepid and intelligent, young Perveen Mistry joins her father's prestigious law firm to become one of India's first female lawyers. Her tumultuous past also makes her especially devoted to championing and protecting women's rights.
When Mistry Law is appointed to execute the will of Omar Farid, a wealthy mill owner, Perveen's suspicions are aroused by a curious provision which could disinherit Farid's three widows and leave them vulnerable. Are the Farid widows--who live in strict seclusion, never leaving the women's quarters or speaking to men--being duped by an unscrupulous guardian? 
Perveen decides to investigate, but when tensions escalate to murder, it becomes clear that her own life is in mortal peril and she will need to use everything in her power to outwit a dangerous criminal.


My Views:


The ease with which Sujata presents her thoughts made me feel comfortable in the entire journey. Her sugar-coated words made me acquire to her story as if a part of my life is being told. Such is the aroma of her books. I've read her books before, and the thick books didn't pose as an obstruction when her work is delighted with such content.


There was the participation of some Islamic words which broke my focus to seek help from the Google, but at the end, I felt good learning some of them. But, during the journey such words could be defined at the bottom of the page so that it would be just a flip of eyes, the reader has to make.This is one such story that blesses you with an altogether new experience. It gave an enriching flavor to my brain. It was like a movie for me, with all the detailing she provides, it became so easy for me to visualize all of them in a flow.



 All the characters have made a significant place in my mind, that each of them gain their importance in my head. I waited for each of them to come and mark their presence in the story. This one is a slow-paced. But, not an inch of it covers the unwanted content. Those who love slow-paced novels and those who like to go into the depth of each event, this is a perfect match to soothe your brain.



I met a strong character in the story. Very rarely I get to read such characters. Parveen's characterization is phenomenal. Each of the assets of her character is laid before the readers in an effortless manner. The reader could slip into the shoes of Perveen, and walk along with the story with great enthusiasm. There was one part that made me ponder over its presence. It's the occurrence of Perveen's college's story. The story of her teenage love! At that moment, I didn't like what was being portrayed as that broke my concentration from the case she was to handle.



I had to handle two matters of interest to keep note of; one being the reflection of Perveen's personal life and another being her professional life where she was working on a case. These two matters move parallelly and had their importance to make it a strong plot.I wouldn't call it a complete thriller package, but it surely serves something interesting on a timely interval to keep you moving on with the story.



Rating: 4/5

Reviewer: Shweta Kesari

Comments